lunes, 12 de mayo de 2014

MODALS AND EXERCISE



MODALS
Had Better

"Had better" is most commonly used to make recommendations. It can also be used to express desperate hope as well as warn people.

Examples:
You had better take your umbrella with you today. recommendation
That bus had better get here soon! desperate hope
You had better watch the way you talk to me in the future! warning
Have Got To

"Have got to" is used to express necessity and obligation.

Examples:
Drivers have got to get a license to drive a car in the US. necessity
I have got to be at work by 8:30 AM. obligation
May

"May" is most commonly used to express possibility. It can also be used to give or request permission, although this usage is becoming less common.

Examples:
Cheryl may be at home, or perhaps at work. possibility
Johnny, you may leave the table when you have finished your dinner. give permission
May I use your bathroom? request permission
Shall
"Shall" is used to indicate future action. It is most commonly used in sentences with "I" or "we," and is often found in suggestions, such as "Shall we go?" "Shall" is also frequently used in promises or voluntary actions. In formal English, the use of "shall" to describe future events often expresses inevitability or predestination. "Shall" is much more commonly heard in British English than in American English; Americans prefer to use other forms, although they do sometimes use "shall" in suggestions or formalized language.

Examples:

Shall I help you? suggestion
I shall never forget where I came from. promise
He shall become our next king. predestination
I'm afraid Mr. Smith shall become our new director. inevitability

Exercise:

may, had better, have got to, shall
1. I know it's rather rude, but ___________ I ask you where you purchased that pocket watch? I have been looking for one like that for my father.

2. You __________ look good for your interview if you want to get the sales job. You __________ wear the white shirt and the maroon tie. I think that'll look really professional.

3. I __________ be at work tomorrow by 7:00. I __________ give a marketing presentation to one of our clients.

4. It's pretty hot in the desert at this time of year. If we are going to do some hiking, we __________ take at least two or three quarts of water with us. Actually, it __________ be hotter than we expect out there - maybe we should take a gallon or more.

5. You __________ leave the table once you have finished your meal and politely excused yourself.

6. I can't stand these people - I __________ get out of here. I'm going to take off for awhile while you get rid of them. When I get back, they be gone.

7. __________ I try a little of your Black Forest cake? It looks absolutely delicious - I __________ taste it!

8. You __________ take along some cash. The restaurant doesn't accept credit cards.

9. __________ we move into the living room? It's more comfortable in there and there's a beautiful view of the lake.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario